Welcome to Biohaze Gaming, the most infectious gaming community on the Internet!

Welcome to Biohaze Gaming, the online videogames community for all gaming fans and enthusiasts. Become a member today to get access to our gaming discussion forums, community servers, events, and more. Click the button below to create your free account now!

Feedback please

Discussion in 'Community News' started by InfernoPanda, Apr 26, 2016.

1. InfernoPanda

InfernoPanda Admin
    Staff Member

Hey everybody, InfernoPanda here.

I'm on the hunt for some community feedback.
    I want to hear about your thoughts, opinions and desires for our community and the services we provide you, our members.

• What do you like/don't like about the forums?
    • Do you enjoy our Minecraft server as-is? Do you want to change it?
    • What's that cool idea you want to see implemented but haven't found the way to approach the subject?

We're a small close-knit community of gamers, scattered around the globe. Everything the team here in Adelaide do is to make your experience a good and memorable one, but we know we're not perfect and maybe we're not offering quiiiite offering what you're after.

We're always open to feedback and would live to hear from you.

If you'd like to talk to us directly, feel free to chuck a PM to myself or @hyp3rstrike or email admin@biohazegaming.com.

Thanks for sticking with us over the years. Looking forward to working together to make our community the best it can be.

Many thanks,
    InfernoPanda

2. MeaKitty

MeaKitty Biohazard Kitteh
    Staff Member

I dislike the lack of activity. There's... virtually nothing to do here. Do we still have those mini-games we used to have linked to the forums, or was that the old forums? I can't remember now. But I think we need some more of those team building exercises.

Also, we need more community events. We need Minecraft days, where we all get together and build. There will probably need to be some sort of incentives for that though. I can imagine all us admins streaming at the same time, perhaps in a call together on Discord or Skype, and just run around like nutso with members and just generally have fun.

We also need more games to play together. We used to have TF2 nights, which were fun as heck. What other games do we have that we can get together and play? We can arrange "play dates" via the forums. Link to our photos and videos from the day. Actually have community days and community interaction. That would be nice.

Also if we can find some more common games I think we need more guilds. No offense, but most of the MOBAs and stuff that you guys play, I don't. So I can't really participate in the discussion/s when it/they come up. Maybe we need to look at some sort of rewards system for/or forum clans. If we're sorted into groups for team games (different teams for different games, so as to avoid splitting the community as a whole). I have no problems being on a team for one game with one section of members, and a team for another game with a different group. Will give us all a chance to interact with different groups of members, perhaps get to know each other better... not so much "force" but allow us to form better bonds, maybe? Just an idea for pondering on. Friendly rivalry so to speak, though I understand how it might end up, so... take that idea as you will. Or don't. Whatever.

Also, as much as I love ST being linked to the news section there, it's starting to feel like spam. Can we cut that down to a daily update on everything that's been posted? Not sure how that's linked behind the scenes, but it's off-putting to a degree. I literally just open the sub-forum itself simply to 'mark as read' and then I'm done. If there was a daily update with a single post with all the info I'd be more inclined to check the post and actually check out what's gone up for the day, in case there's anything I want to read. I don't think it currently works as it is as well, because no one's going to comment on the forum topic itself; if anything it's just redirecting us to go comment on ST's site. Not a BAD thing, but again I think to a degree it's off putting to members HERE.

Also, we need some way to link Twitch / YouTube / Forums - kinda like what we have amongst ourselves, but I think it would be nice to have something that notifies you somewhere that a forum member has uploaded a video, or is livestreaming "NOW". Something that isn't manually done, preferably. I feel like I'm spamming the media section if I upload all my videos. Hence I've just been linking the first in a series, so that other people don't get lost in a sea of Challenged Gaming. But some sort of area of notifications if that's even at all possible. Again, no idea if possible/probably so I'm just throwing it out there.

Uh... there's some stuff. If I think of anything else I'll add to it/reply to this thread. But there's my first impressions.

3. InfernoPanda

InfernoPanda Admin
    Staff Member

Hey @MeaKitty, really appreciate the prompt feedback. :)
    I totally agree, though activity generally comes from people, to which we're not seeing a lot of activity. In reviewing activity logs, I can see a good few people visit regularly, but leave without saying anything. A large part of activity generation comes from our users. If nobody says hi, we don't say hi back. What we're looking for is methods to create a more beneficial environment for everyone, whether current or potential new members.

The Arcade was definitely in this system, however there is no longer any support from the developer, and we had some serious compatibility issues with it. We decided to switch it off due to those issues coupled with lack of use.
    Perhaps @hyp3rstrike can whip up some promotional material and we can think about doing something. But yeah have the conundrum of what do we play? Minecraft is the usual pick as we have a server and most of us have it. But yeah need some more options on the table.
    Guilds can be hard. They take a considerable commitment of time and, well, more time. I'm all for guilds and clans setting up shop here, but we need to draw other people to head them up. Totally agree re: the MOBA dealio, I'm not a huge fan. I'd love to see some more counter strike players around and some actual commitment to play regularly. With the current active user base, this isn't very achievable in the short term.
    This, as I'm sure you've noticed, is a really new thing. The way it's configured is an out of box feature of our forum system which posts RSS feeds. Sadly it doesn't have the ability to merge them into a daily digest, nor can it post the items in a single thread. The idea behind it was to promote @Sticky Trigger gaming news and content that we no longer create ourselves, with the ability to readily talk about the game or topic here. You could say it's been somewhat of a trial, so I'll see what we can do about improving the solution, if we don't decide to retire the idea.
    I get the idea, but we would be heavily reliant on there being some kind of solution available. I can check it out, but if we needed something tailored to our specific desires, we would need to develop it ourselves or pay a handsome fee.

Thanks for the feedback Mea. Every suggestion and item of feedback given is appreciated. Hopefully we can work with everyone and make our site great . :)

4. hyp3rstrike

hyp3rstrike Community Owner
    Staff Member

I'm looking into making a promotional trailer for us, along with some image work that can easily be shared. The imagework I can get done in a few hours - however, the trailer requires much more thought.

5. MeaKitty

MeaKitty Biohazard Kitteh
    Staff Member

@hyp3rstrike - if you need help with video editing all you gotta do is ask. More than happy to give you a hand with that.

IDEA!!! We need a stream/media/event subforum. Let's all advertise our twitch channels and our youtubes, post on a regular basis to keep the information up to date. AND I suggest adding a calander like: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/calendar.2675/ which will link to threads for events - as in when we're planning a stream, or a new video goes up, whatever... we add it to the calendar so that member can see what's coming up and find the correct thread featuring all the information.

Also we should link to/from the Reddit sections so that we can get more activity happening over there as well as over here.

And I had another idea but I've forgotten it in the process of typing up this one.

hyp3rstrike likes this.
  6. hyp3rstrike

hyp3rstrike Community Owner
    Staff Member

Great ideas, Mea! I'll have a chat with @InfernoPanda about adding the Media subforum for Twitchers. He dislikes me adding subforums.

7. Ulnarevern

Ulnarevern New Member

The calendar idea is pretty sweet, but it would need to be extremely easily accessible I think... Otherwise I fear that no one will check it out :/

I haven't spend enough time here to give good, specific feedback but if you want people to come and stay, it's usually advised to have something that makes your community different from any other. I don't know if you have that or no.
    Example: that banner you have @hyp3rstrike is good-looking, but the text "The online videogames community [...]" and images behind kinda sound and look generic. However, your logo and "Get Infected" slogan are pretty DAMN NICE and eye-catching.
    Also, what I heard works with streamers and all and my guess is that it would work with this community is to have a personality (it's pretty close to "what make Biohaze different").
    Good luck to do something with that though :/

As for the guild/clan thing I think that first of all, we should have a list of some kind where we list our favorite game styles and give one or two games we play. That way we may see where we have a common ground to play together.
    If there's a game played by a lot of people, then that would be worth creating a Biohaze guild (plus, some visibility for the groups and forums if we play with other people).
    Having a guild for only one or two players only does not sound like a really good idea... I guess 4 or 5 people would be a good start? (I have no idea though)
    That list thing could be more visible with colors on the forums and/or Discord server, but that may create some kind of split, so it's up to the bosses of the place! :)

Example for the list:
    - First, people list their things like that:

Ulnarevern:
    #1 RPGs: The Secret World, Neverwinter
    #2 FPSs/TPSs: Hawken, Warframe, Xonotic

- Then I think that a table list would work:
    • RPG
      • The Secret World - Ulnarevern
      • Neverwinter - Ulnarevern ; some random guy

• FPS/TPS
    • Hawken - Ulnarevern
    • Warframe - Ulnarevern ; everyone else