Welcome to Biohaze Gaming, the most infectious gaming community on the Internet!

Welcome to Biohaze Gaming, the online videogames community for all gaming fans and enthusiasts. Become a member today to get access to our gaming discussion forums, community servers, events, and more. Click the button below to create your free account now!

NZXT Phantom 820 fan controller memory

Discussion in 'Technology' started by hyp3rstrike, Aug 20, 2014.

1. hyp3rstrike

hyp3rstrike Community Owner
    Staff Member

Does anyone else here own an NZXT Phantom 820 full/ultra+ case?

I bought one last weekend and I've been nutting out the issues one by one, but there is one issue I'm yet to solve.

When I boot my PC, the case fans don't turn on automatically, and I need to use the hardware fan controller to manually increase the fan speed up to maximum. My issue with this is that the settings are not remembered after shutdown (they're remembered on reboot, just not shut down).

I should point out that the case fans aren't connected to motherboard fan headers, but are connected using the included molex connection that connects to the controller.

I've contacted NZXT for an answer and they haven't responded yet, so I'm looking to get answers from people who own one.

2. hyp3rstrike

Staff Member

After asking around, turns out the case is suppose to retain settings in the controller. So I submitted a support request to NZXT on Saturday. Three business days pass without a response, so I sent a message through their support chat with a link to the existing request. They looked at it, merged the requests and left it.

So I took it to reddit for some crowdsupport at /r/nzxt. Detailed my issue, and also asked if NZXT support is usually like this. I get a response from NZXT_Deadpool (who has been great so far) to send the ticket number, where he ensured I got a response.

The response I got was basically "talk to the store you got it from, get them to do something about it." Logically, I don't expect an information technology retailer to deal in support, which is why I went to the manufacturer support first.

I forwarded the information to PC DIY and now they're going to test my case and replace the hardware controller if its faulty.

At least I know what the issue is. The hardware controller for the LEDs also controls the fan speed memory too.

It isn't that much of an emergency, but if you buy something, you expect it to work in its full capacity and get the support from where you would expect it.

3. BlindSquirrel

Epic Member

This. I had a problem with my mobo when I first got it, took it back to PLE, they checked the pins weren't bent and gave me a brand spanking new one. I love that place, it's only a bit more expensive than MSY and well worth it for the service.

The problem was that only 2 of the 4 RAM slots worked; apparently it was the first time the counter staff had someone say that the CPU pins weren't bent and they weren't.

How easy is that to do anyway? They look pretty sturdy to me.

4. hyp3rstrike

Staff Member

CPU pins used to be *real* easy to bend, or at least before "pins" because obsolete. They're made of gold after all, the weakest metal of all and in such a small bit in size, its easy to break.

As for the original issue with this, NZXT was right. Took back to PCDIY and they replaced the controller with a new one. Works a charm now.