Welcome to Biohaze Gaming, the most infectious gaming community on the Internet!

Welcome to Biohaze Gaming, the online videogames community for all gaming fans and enthusiasts. Become a member today to get access to our gaming discussion forums, community servers, events, and more. Click the button below to create your free account now!

Minecraft Server Relocated!

Discussion in 'Server Chat' started by hyp3rstrike, Oct 10, 2015.

1. hyp3rstrike

hyp3rstrike Community Owner
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

Hey, community! Today I made a very important decision to relocate the Minecraft server from our current host located in the Phoenix, Arizona, to a locally-hosted solution in Sydney, Australia.

There are a few reasons why I've made this decision.

The first is that the exchange rate does in no way favour the Australian dollar right now, and I'm getting #rekt4dayz over the operational cost of keeping it in the U.S.A.

The second and third reasons are loosely related. In the last twelve or so months, we've seen a decline in activity on the server from our original memberbase, which was comprised of international members from other countries like the U.S. and Europe.

Those members have all but moved on from Biohaze Gaming, however in their stead we've seen an increase in our Australian membership. Back when we started this community, it was mostly American/European members with a handful of Aussies, but now that balance has completely shifted.

Which brings me reason: latency. With most of our international membership off kadoodling elsewhere, is there any real point to keeping the server in the U.S., when it's mostly used by our Australian members? Not really.

So, with that in mind, I've moved the server to a server provider here in Australia. For our American members, this server should definitely still be playable for you guys as it's on our East Coast. As you'll see below, we have several outgoing pipelines from Sydney, Australia, through Hawaii and on to West Coast United States. The latency should be no different from if you were playing in a server in Europe (expected ~250ms), but for Europe, it might be a bit unplayable.

[​IMG]
    Anyway, you'll still be able to connect via mc.biohazegaming.com as the server address. I've updated the namerecords as of about 20 minutes ago, which should propagate through your Internet Service Provider DNS records within 48 hours.

Should you not be able to connect, the manual connection address is 103.231.91.92:25565 (but you don't need the port).

Another thing about the server move - the world as it was is gone. Again. I did try to backup the server world, but the host in the U.S. repeatedly banned by IP address for having to download the metric arseload of files (somewhere around the 100,000 mark) as each file that needed to be downloaded was a new connection and seen as spammy. Using net2ftp to zip it up kept timing out after an hour and a half, so I gave up after a few attempts. The world is gone, but I tried.

I'll be going through the list of usernames in the other thread and adding people to their appropriate ranks in-game tomorrow. If you're not set the correct permissions, don't sweat - I'll get to you. :)

MeaKitty likes this.
  2. RaptorShadow

Staff Member

You mean I lost my epic underground dungeon I spent my birthday weekend building?

[​IMG]

hyp3rstrike likes this.
  3. hyp3rstrike

Staff Member

Sadly mate, yes. I'm sorry for your loss, but I literally was being blocked at every turn in trying to save the files. You can thank Minecraft and it's shitty method of saving world chunks as individual files rather than a singular compressed file.

Thankfully the new host allows for one-click world backups.

InfernoPanda likes this.
  4. MeaKitty

MeaKitty Biohazard Kitteh
    Staff Member

It's okay @RaptorShadow I lost my castle, lands, and spawn town I was lording over in the middle of building.

BUT! WE SHALL REBUILD! And the new Empire shall be more glorious than before!

And with less lag. :3

InfernoPanda and hyp3rstrike like this.
  5. InfernoPanda

InfernoPanda Admin
    Staff Member

This bit excites me. :)
    It was amazing to see full latency bars. :D

MeaKitty likes this.
  6. MeaKitty

Staff Member

Somewhat disappointed in the lack of activity again. Seems we were powering on there for a while. Whens everyone hang around? I'm bored of being lonely.

hyp3rstrike likes this.
  7. hyp3rstrike

Staff Member

I've been spreading my time among various games this week trying to distract myself from the utterly shit mood I'm in, but I've been on sometimes in the morning before work.

When are you on usually? I think we need to do some promotion and events to boost regular numbers, because the working crew and the U.S. crew are all sorts of outta-whack right now.

I've got some things coming for the server to encourage daily activity in the way of daily rewards and rewards for logging in consecutively, I've just got to configure the plugin with some appropriate rewards that don't seem overpowered.

8. MeaKitty

Staff Member

After work is better for me. Mad rush to get going between 6.30am and 7.30am. But when I'm home after 7/8pm I can just chill and build.