Welcome to Biohaze Gaming, the most infectious gaming community on the Internet!

Welcome to Biohaze Gaming, the online videogames community for all gaming fans and enthusiasts. Become a member today to get access to our gaming discussion forums, community servers, events, and more. Click the button below to create your free account now!

Upgrading pc!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by jam3sm, Jul 5, 2015.

1. jam3sm

Epic Member

well here goes :

my mobo has become very unstable due to damaged chipset from a surge - bios is screwed to bits, so i started looking and cpu's and mobos for upgrade, noticed skylake will be out in a few months but that would mean a change of ram as well, and for me here as a carer, atm, ddr4 is unrealistic for the price.

so started to think long term and got in way over my head for the most part - i was thinking i have i7-2600 cpu now if i go to anything but a i7 i would take a major performance hit, then thought about oculus rift [the vr headset]!

i got some great advice at #oculus and ##hardware in freenode irc server -
    according to the oculus r & d team the major thing for a pc will be a gpu - one that can handle massive amounts of pixel shaders and atm its not worth upgrading till the cv1 (the oculus official release next year)
    in terms of cpu i was told that the i5-4690k is ample and going higher doesn't truly warrant the extra $$$ for the performances!
    the setup of a oculus rift pc is rather simple : Oculus rift PC configuration
    and the official rift pc specs : Oculus rift pc specs
    as far as benchmarks go : haswell cpu reviews

from what i have been suggested and researched ill be going with a Gigabyte z97x-soc mobo and intel i5-4690k
    the research suggests the unlocked version would be slightly lower than that of the i7 counter part, and when the rift is handled by the GPU, the GPU will become most important part of the system.

Now next year it will be the debate of the century for Gpu's - as it will be amd r9-390 series gfx cards vs the nvidia 980 and beyond , also note you need to have a minimum 1080p capable hdmi resolution with at least 75fps , and i believe the speculation atm for cv1 is 1440p at 90fps ,, now in saying this, don't hold it to me as its pure speculation at this point!

it will be wiser to wait and see by then , gpu's will be cheaper and more developed (im personally betting on amd atm - purely because oculus and amd have joined forces to develop the liquid vr technology)

as far as windows 10 and DX12 are concerned the i5 should work out just fine if not way beter than what i have seen so far

#1 jam3sm, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  2. jam3sm

Epic Member

3. jam3sm

Epic Member

Ok turns out they didnt have the r9 390 so I settled on the lower r9 380 but I also managed to get the mobo and cpu too

4. BlindSquirrel

Epic Member

I will also be looking to get a new pc in the next year or so. The current one was built 2011 and the GPU is from 2009 (HD5770)

5. jam3sm

Epic Member

i just upgraded my system and must say that sata express port is way awesome install windows and configured within 20 mins, :) gona try the gpu out in a min

6. jam3sm

Epic Member

wow men/women this system rocks now wow - shame that amd are like they normally are, lazy , drivers don't work in windows 10 just yet - windows 10 seems to want to force its own wdm crap but that doesn't detect the gpu , anyways ill post benchmarks when i do some more unigen heaven and gaming stuff

7. jam3sm

Epic Member

well it turns out that all of my hardware issues in my pc before and after rebuild :
    *face palm * !!!
    after spending money on the mobo,cpu,gpu, got home built and found the ram failure beep code on new parts, so next day i buy another ram stick,(installed windows 10 via upgrade then as fresh install), both ways had me stumped as random restarts occurred 2-3 times a day ,wich was exactly why i got new parts in first place, so i spent about a week trying to figure it out , went thru all the hardware, rebuilt, re-checked pins in socket several times, after radical discussions in ##hardware , we come to the conclusion it must be a power issue or hdd, i then thought i would try windows 8 again just to see because never had issue with it, and sure enough after 3 days now i haven't had a single issue.

It turned out to a faulty stick of ram and the damn operating system, the bios config errors i was geting was because of windows 10 hardware acceleration (personal opinion , cant prove it) and the restarts , i beilieve it has something to do with it trying to boost / gather info in bios wich caused system instability!

8. jam3sm

Epic Member

well i found out that my psu is at fault it drops power at random intervals causing the mobo's dummy load setting to kick in and shutdown the system for protection , hence i had such a hard time diagnosing system in first place,

9. hyp3rstrike

hyp3rstrike Community Owner
    Staff Member

Just out of curiosity, are you able to edit your own threads?